Both incoming freshmen and transfer students are accepted into the California Jazz Conservatory based on the following:
- A completed application form including a personal statement outlining your past accomplishments, future objectives and how and why you believe the California Jazz Conservatory will help you realize them.
- An official high school transcript. Please Note: All students must have a satisfactory academic record and have earned an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher to be admitted to the California Jazz Conservatory. Transcripts should be sent directly to the California Jazz Conservatory at the address below. Photocopies are not accepted. Also note: the California Jazz Conservatory does not accept ability-to-benefit students.
- Two original letters of recommendation, one of which is from a professional musician and/ or music educator familiar with your work and professional objectives. Please note: photocopies are not accepted.
- A live audition. Students living more than 150 miles from the California Jazz Conservatory may substitute a DVD of their playing in lieu of a live audition. (See Audition and Placement Exam).
- Results of the Ear Training and Sight Singing, Jazz Theory and Improvisation and English Composition Placement Exams. (See Audition, Audition Requirements and Placement Examinations).
- An internet-bassed TOEFL (IBT) score. All instruction at the California Jazz Conservatory occurs in English. A high level of English proficiency is required for admission. All non-native speakers must submit an official score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) prior to enrolling. Applicants who have completed a 4-year degree program at an English-speaking college or university may request TOEFL exemption. The California Jazz Conservatory accepts internet-based TOEFL (IBT) scores only. Please do not submit paper-based TOEFL (PBT) scores. Applicants must receive a score of 75 or higher to be admitted into the California Jazz Conservatory. TOEFL scores are valid for two years after the test date and there is no limit to the number of times the test may be taken.
Please send all application materials along with a non-refundable $100 Application Fee to:
California Jazz Conservatory
Office of Admission
2087 Addison Street
Berkeley, CA 94704