HOW TO SCHEDULE AN AUDITION
To schedule an audition, please fill out the ONLINE APPLICATION. After your application is received, you will be contacted within 1 – 2 weeks with an audition time. Auditions are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis and will be scheduled at the earliest available time. Students will be contacted with placement information following the audition.
Entering musicians are asked to prepare a skill-level appropriate jazz standard, improvise over a 12-bar blues (optional) or rhythm changes (for high school students only) and sight-read.
Drummers: please demonstrate your ability to play a swing groove, a Latin or straight 8th groove, and improvise within these grooves. If able, you can demonstrate your ballad or waltz playing abilities.
AUDITION BY VIDEO (OPTIONAL)
Students have the option of submitting an online video audition rather than scheduling an in-person audition. Students submitting their audition online are still required to fill out an online application (see above). On the application form, please select live audition or video submission. Please note: online video submissions are not available for the Studio Band or Advanced High School Jazz Workshops.
Instructions for Online Video Submission
- Student should be clearly visible (and audible) on the video.
- Perform two skill-level appropriate jazz standards. Please state the name of each piece before you play it.
- Download one of the two improvisation tracks by clicking here for the improvisation portion of your audition. Two choruses required.
- On the video, it is important that your playing is heard louder than anything else, including any accompanying tracks.
Piano and Guitar Players
Follow the above instructions with only one change: after improvising, please demonstrate comping/voicings on a blues or rhythm changes.
Please demonstrate the following styles:
- swing, bossa nova, funk/rock
- Demonstrate each style at various tempos (i.e. slow, medium, fast)
- On each style/tempo please “trade fours” with yourself (4 bars of time, 4 bars of solo, etc.) Make sure your different style and trading 4s demonstrations last for at least 16 measures each.
After you have completed your video, upload your audition to YouTube and title the video with your name (Example: John Smith Jazzschool Audition). You should make this a private video (unless you don’t mind it being available to the public). Once the video is uploaded, send a link to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also upload the video to a private website and email a link. Please do not email audition videos as attachments.