Learn Brazilian music styles including samba, baião, bossa nova and choro, and the techniques used to play them. Develop familiarity with this beautiful repertoire while acquiring skills in the following areas: stylistically appropriate comping rhythms, chord melody playing, creating solo arrangements, right-hand finger-style technique and melodic soloing approaches. Prerequisites: ability to read music notation.
Sundays 2 – 3:30 pm
9/24 – 12/3 (10 weeks) no class 11/26
Ricardo Peixoto • $395
COURSE TITLE: Brazilian Guitar
Learn Brazilian music styles including samba, baião, bossa nova and choro, and the techniques used to play them. Develop familiarity with this beautiful repertoire while acquiring skills in the following areas: stylistically appropriate comping rhythms, chord melody playing, creating solo arrangements, and melodic soloing approaches.
Since this class may include students with varying degrees of experience, the areas listed will be tailored to each student’s level:
- Learn level appropriate repertoire, including classic bossa nova, samba, choro, MPB, baião and frevo. Typically includes works by Jobim, João Bosco, Djavan, Ivan Lins, Toninho Horta, Dori Caymmi, Cartola, Ary Barroso, Caetano Veloso, Pixinguinha, Jacob do Bandolim, Guinga and others.
- Understand the common elements of the various styles as well as their differences
- Deepen understanding of functional harmony and understand the particular ways that chords are voiced in various styles of Brazilian guitar
- Develop basic technical skills for right hand rhythm
- Right-hand finger-style technique
- Approaches to creating solo arrangements
- Chord melody playing
- Melodic soloing/improvisation
Students of all levels can expect to acquire or deepen their experience with Brazilian music, and to develop an understanding of how to make their playing sound more authentic by focusing on the particular ways in which rhythms are executed as well as how chords are voiced, through the study of a broad range of repertoire covering various styles.
Ability to read music notation.
Ricardo Peixoto (guitar)
Native of Rio de Janeiro, graduated from Berklee College of Music, studied with Pat Metheny. Also studied classical guitar with George Sakellariou at SF Conservatory. Adventure Music recording artist, composer, arranger, has performed nationally and internationally with Claudia Villela, Terra Sul, Carlos Oliveira, Airto, Flora Purim, Guinga, Dori Caymmi, Bud Shank, Dom Um Romão, Claudio Roditi.