Mike Greensill is a well-known vocal accompanist and has recorded 21 albums in his role of musical director for his wife, acclaimed vocalist Wesla Whitfield. This unique 6-week course is based on Mike Greensill’s book Playing For Singers recently published by Sher Music. Topics covered include:
– The Basics — the obvious, but often forgotten, fundamentals of playing for singers.
– Solo Piano — you’re the whole orchestra! How to accompany a vocalist without the aid of any musical safety nets!
– The Art of “Out of Tempo” Accompaniment — How to play those out of tempo verses. Where do I put the chord? How to follow the singer and when to subtly lead.
– Duo and Trio Accompaniment — Add bass and drums and everything changes. Plus the art of comping, and the mysteries of chord voicing are revealed.
– The Accompanist as Arranger (and copyist) — Tricks of the trade for vocal arranging and how to write beautiful, legible charts. No more ‘train wrecks’.
– The Accompanist as Music Director — The roles and responsibilities of the Music Director from hiring and firing, to conducting and rehearsing!
In at least one of the classes, Mike will be joined by one of the Bay Area’s best bass players. This will be a hands-on course with plenty of opportunities to play. Basic keyboard and harmonic knowledge are required.
Saturdays 11 am – 12:30 pm
7/14 – 8/18 (6 weeks)
Mike Greensill • $280
Amanda Addleman (voice)
B.M Performance from Berklee College of Music. Student of Mili Bermejo-Greenspan, Ken Cervenka, Greg Hopkins, Maggie Scott, Lee Strawn & Tierney Sutton. Professional musician with past residencies at The Palace Hotel, Savanna Jazz Club and more. Vocal Program Director at Sir Francis Drake High School and private music educator and clinician.