Degree Program Policies
Code of Conduct
The California Jazz Conservatory is committed to providing our collegiate community of students, faculty and staff with an environment conducive to the freedom to teach and to learn — a setting that promotes intellectual freedom, nurtures individual creativity and self-expres- sion and is free from discrimination of any kind.
Violations of the Student Code of Conduct include but are not limited to the following on-campus acts:
- Harassment, whether verbal, physical or written (including electronic communications), which is directed at an individual and/or member of a protected class, that extends beyond the bounds of protected free speech
- Use or sale of illegal drugs
- Alcohol intoxication
- Smoking within 50 feet of campus
- Disorderly conduct of any kind
- Non-consensual physical contact of a sexual nature
- Damaging or defacing CJC property or resources
- Theft or attempted theft
- Possession of weaponry of any kindAll alleged infractions of the Code of Conduct should be reported to the Dean of Instruction in writing. The Dean of Instruction, together with the student’s instructor, will thoroughly review the allegations for their veracity, and based on their findings, will determine the appropriate action. Proof of violation of any aspect of the Code of Conduct will result in either reprimand, probation for the remainder of the semester and subsequent semester, suspension for one year, or permanent dismissal, depend- ing on the seriousness of the offense. Students found in violation must meet with the Dean of Instruction in person at which time they will be given a written notice citing the infraction and consequences of the offense.
Please note: Academic and financial penalties (see under Cancellations, Withdrawals and Refunds and Adding, Dropping and Withdrawing from Courses) will apply as of the date of the written notice. Please note: In the case of suspension, a student is required to reapply for admission into the program as a new student (see under Admission Require- ments). In the case of dismissal, a student may not reapply for admission into the program. Violation of the Student Code of Conduct that results in either suspension or dismissal will be permanently attached to a student’s transcript.
Students enrolled in the CJC are held to the highest standards of conduct and must obey federal, state and local laws.